Saturday, September 1, 2007

San Jose

Hola amigos! Right now i am at an internet cafe in the capital city of san jose. it is raining like crazy right now, but i love it. There are so many shops, street vendors, amazing bread stores, and awesome tourist attractions. This morning i went to the museo del oro precolombino. I have never seen so much gold in one place. The bus system is pretty easy to figure out, luckily i live only a couple of blocks from the place where we have our main classes in the morning, so i can walk there and then we can all take the bus to ILE, the language institute for our classes. I have a lot of pictures, but i need to use my laptop to upload them, but luckily i will have them up by next week, there is a mcdonalds in san jose with free wifi. I am living outside of san jose in the barrio el carmen de guadalupe. It is a nicer place to live apparently, but my family is poorer than most based on conversations we have had about what we have eaten and done with our families. My dad drives a truck and my mom is a stay at home mom. I have a 19 year old sister stephanie, who is hilarious, and with whom i share a room, and a 20 year old brother Johan. They are all very sweet and very patient with me and my limited spanish speaking capabilities. The people here are great, i am sure it is going to be a great semester. I went to a debate at one of our professors church last night about TLC or telecommunications, which is a major referrendum coming up in october or november i believe about privatizing telecommunications here in Costa Rica. It is hard to sit through debates sometimes in english, so just imagine trying to listen to advanced spanish!

Well, i am hoping to be able to update this thing maybe like once a week, but i can´t make any promises. Costa Rica is a beautiful country and i am so excited that while most of you are in class, that i will be traveling somewhere! Ha Ha! Okay, well, i love you all and miss you, and hopefully i will be able to put some pictures on facebook soon. Adios amigos! Pura Vida!

2 comments:

shauntia06 said...

kurry! i'm so glad to hear you made it alive!:) woooooo! it sounds like things are going well too! I've heard good things about Costa Rica and you're so lucky to be there! Make sure you drink a lot of coffee for me! Love you!

Spirit Bear said...

Can't wait to see your photos. I will post them in my gallery on my school blog and have my students visit Costa Rica! You must really make an impression with your beautiful red hair - peliroja.